Tuesday, February 12, 2013

New in - PlayBlocks. And a little film

Oh, my addiction to Shapemaker has really taken hold recently (as Flora will understand). I get it out for the boys sometimes and get really cross when Gus just wants to see how high he can build his tower. 

"But we're making this weird monkey-man with the teeth!" I say. 

Long after they've wandered off to play with the batcave or some such plastic monstrosity ;-) I am there, making the lovebirds, the sailing boat, the chef, the rabbit. And I WILL NOT BE INTERRUPTED!

So, anyway, being a fan of shapes and geometrics I always wanted to make a print inspired by Shapemaker, so I played around the other day, building and layering and using my colour palette du jour. And here it is - PlayBlocks. In the shop and etsy.


After I made it, it occurred to me that it looked a bit like some kind of 50s animation, a bit Paul Rand and a bit Saul Bass, so I made a little animation to introduce it. I knew jazz was the way to go too, so still with Saul Bass in mind I searched and found this great piece by Hitchcock's favourite - Bernard Herrmann.

Oh and the font - 'Hitchcock' :-)



p.s. a little youtube thingy about Saul Bass presented by another brilliant title artist, Kyle Cooper.

14 comments:

  1. SO COOL. I'm really wanting to pick your brains on how you get the animation to work in time with the music. The software I use is so basic (well, it is for kids), but there must be a way.

    Love the print. And put Facemaker on your Christmas list, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm using imovie, do you have it? x

      Delete
  2. This is it. This is the next part of your puzzle. Gosh I love it!!!. Make more and more and more....
    We need to talk CS6, it would speed up your process so much more, as you can make the animation direct in there. Next power brunch... one step at a time xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you incognito xanthe Berkeley?! Thanks love. It definitely excites me as there's always been s frustrated title designer in me, since the days of your dad's studio in Camden! X

      Delete
  3. Interesting, I didn't know who Kyle Cooper was but but I saw Seven when it was first released (pre kids obvz, when you could do stuff like that)and I was blown away by the title sequence. I never followed up on who did them but now I know!

    Nice animation, the music works well. I did a block of animation at college which put me right off (60 drawings for 10 seconds of film yuk)but now the technology's changed I've been getting a bit more interested again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's where I first noticed him Nancy, the Seven titles are amazing. I remember animating at college too, it also put me off! Until now :-)

      Delete
  4. ah I love the film, it works wonderfully with the music x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Fran! Love the little film too - it's amazeballs! (as my girls say) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran this is awesome! So cool! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh love it! And when I played the music the baby did a little dance :) xx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!